Working with University of Leicester Archaeological Services, the Leicestershire Fieldworkers have produced a number of fieldwork guides to aid community archaeology groups across the county and beyond. All our guides are free to download and use without copyright. They are all pdfs and will each open in a new tab. If you have comments on these or know of other guides that you would find useful please let us know via our Contact Us page and we’ll see what we can do.
PLEASE NOTE: This page is currently a work in progress, we hope you will bear with us while we update the content.
Fieldwork Guide 1 – Setting up an archaeological project (coming soon)
Fieldwork Guide 2 – How to carry out archaeological field walking (coming soon)
- Fieldwalking Field Access Form (doc)
- Fieldwalking Field Record Form (pdf)
- Fieldwalking Analysis Sheets (pdf)
- Fieldwalking Layout Sheets (pdf)
- Notes on completing fieldwalking recording documents (pdf)
- Fieldwalking Digital Recording Sheet (coming soon)
- Notes on completing fieldwalking digital recording sheets (coming soon)
Fieldwork Guide 7 – How to write an archaeological report (coming soon)
Leicestershire County Council Guides
- What to do if you Encounter Human Remains
- Guidelines for Community Archaeology Groups Undertaking Archaeological Projects
Supplies for Fieldworkers and affiliated groups
The Leicestershire Fieldworkers can provide free plastic finds bags and pens to members and to any of our affiliated groups who need them. If you need supplies, please contact us via our Contact Us page.
Finds Identification Guides
Leicestershire Fieldworkers are pleased to host a series of flint and pottery identification guides originally done for the South East Leicestershire Treasure Project and sponsored by the Heritage Lottery Fund and other funding bodies details of which can be found at the foot of each sheet.